George Jackson Academy is the only independent, non-sectarian, need-blind middle school for bright boys from low-income families in NYC.
George Jackson Academy seeks to educate, inspire, and empower boys with courage, integrity, excellence and leadership. Students, regardless of their economic circumstances, are presented with rigorous academic challenges that enable them to realize their highest potential. Founded in the Lasallian tradition—the head, the heart, and the spirit—the school community is committed to graduating scholars and young men of character who excel in high school and beyond.
Brotherhood Creates Leaders
In an urban culture where smart can be uncool, our students learn to think critically, to engage academically, and to value their intellect as a unique and precious gift. Our single-sex program focuses young men on supportive, engaging academic and social development at the most critical time in their lives. George Jackson Academy creates a life-changing experience by challenging its students to grow not only as scholars, but also as friends and brothers in community.
• Engaging and challenging instruction in mathematics, sciences, critical reading and writing, spanish, technology, geography, history, and economics.
• Arts instruction with partners from Juilliard and the Whitney Museum.
• A private school experience at a cost that works for each family.
• Social-Emotional and Behavioral Supports
• Small classes and a 12:1 student to teacher ratio.
• Summer Academy for all 6th-8th graders: a month-long program focused on technology literacy, critical writing skills, and high school preparation.
• A year long High School placement process.