George Jackson Academy is the only independent, non-sectarian, need-blind upper elementary and middle school for bright boys from low-income families in NYC. The school was created to engage underserved, academically capable boys from 4th to 8th grade, a time when young men are particularly vulnerable to disengaging from school. George Jackson Academy creates a life-changing experience by challenging its students to grow not only as scholars, but also as friends and brothers in community. No child is denied admission because of an inability to pay.
Brotherhood Creates Leaders
In an urban culture where smart is uncool, our students learn to think critically, to engage academically, and to value their intellect as a unique and precious gift. Our single-sex program focuses young men on supportive, engaging academic and social development at the most critical time in their lives.
• Engaging and challenging instruction in mathematics, sciences, critical reading and writing, Spanish, technology, geography, history, and economics.
• Arts instruction with partners from Juilliard and the Whitney Museum.
• Small classes and an 12:1 student to teacher ratio.
• Summer Academy for all 6th-8th graders: a month-long program focused on technology literacy, critical writing skills, and high school preparation.
• A year long High School placement process.